... or at least make a dent!

World Vets brings veterinarians, medical staff, and volunteers together to provide sterilization surgeries and medical aid to pets around the world! This blog is the story of our trip to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, April 2012. Our goal: reduce pet overpopulation and limit the spread of disease among pets in the villages around Lake Atitlan. Please follow along!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Today so far


This morning, my cohorts got up at 4am to go on a sunrise tour. I’m sure it’s spectacular, but I don’t get up at 4am if I don’t have to. Besides, I’m scheduled for the sunset tour tonight, and I’m sure it will blow my mind. So I “slept in” until about 6am, when it was fully light out, and the birds and critters seemed to be having a loudness contest. I could wake up to worse things than a jungle full of wildlife saying good morning!
Post-breakfast, we spent a morning of bird calls mostly around the pool, where a group of South African backpackers have chosen to disregard the sign about the pool being for guests only. Not that we are complaining. One of them told a fascinating story about his uncle the arms dealer. Not positive that it was all truthful, but fascinating nonetheless. We’re set to go to the artifact museum in a few minutes, and then there will be a sunset tour tonight, with Juan, the guy who led this morning’s sunrise tour. He’s been a tour guide for 25 years, and speaks 5 languages. We started talking earlier, in German, and he asked about my background with Spanish (I know a lot of obscure stuff, but not much that’s useful in a regular conversation. He said he’s best at speaking French, and I asked why he wasn’t best at speaking Spanish, if that’s his first language. We had a good laugh. Definitely looking forward to talking to him some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment