... or at least make a dent!

World Vets brings veterinarians, medical staff, and volunteers together to provide sterilization surgeries and medical aid to pets around the world! This blog is the story of our trip to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala, April 2012. Our goal: reduce pet overpopulation and limit the spread of disease among pets in the villages around Lake Atitlan. Please follow along!

Friday, April 27, 2012

Hello blog world! Today was travel/tourist day. At the suggestion of a friend of a friend, we visited the Crossroads Cafe, owned and operated by an ex-pat named Michael. It turns out that Michael's daughter volunteered at our clinics. Whoa - small world! Crossroads has some great, fresh, Guatemalan coffee, and Michael roasts the beans himself at the cafe:
 I was really tired this morning, since a migraine woke me up, but thanks to Dr. Tom at the Lighthouse Clinic (how's that for a plug, Tom?) I was able to make it go away with meds. I was still tired though, so here's a random "me crashing against Randy at the cafe" shot. Note that we have both purchased the Guatemalan version of "ridiculous hats".
 All lined up for beverages: me, Becky, Sandy, and the elusive Amanda:
 Same people from the other side, plus Michael, the owner:
 He let us in to the secret back room (we had to move a bookcase to get in) where he stores and roasts the coffee beans:
 Then Sandy and I snuck back in so that I could climb on piles of beans:
 And I pretended to roast some of the coffee. The cafe was so busy that Michael had me grind my own beans after roasting, so that they could be bagged quicker.
 And the finished product - coffee!
 I wasn't the only person falling asleep today. This is on the bus back to Antigua: a 3 hour ride after an early morning. Yeah, several of us were snoozing:
 Fresh fruit snacks!! Mango=AWESOME! Watermelon = pretty darn good. Papaya = enjoyable.
 In Antigua, several of us took a tour of some ruins - of a cathedral originally built in the 1600s. It's been rebuilt a few times, what with earthquake damage and all. The front part is still used as a church, but the back is all pillars and rubble. Our guide, Sergei, was very knowledgeable, and showed us how the Mayan laborers snuck some of their own culture into the building. Heeheehee...
 After the ruins tour, our whole group went out for one last dinner together - tomorrow morning we'll split up, with most of the group heading back stateside, and a few of us going on to Tikal to see some Mayan ruins and run around in the jungle. Of course, since it was our last night out, we had to take a bunch of pictures. Here's me with Papa Tom:
 And me with Jason and Erica. These two are going to Tikal for just one day, and might run into us, since they're on the same airplane...
 Just for fun, here's a view of the front part of the cathedral (still used as a church) all lit up for the evening:
And that's it for now - the laptop battery is going fast, and I don't have a plug-in here. We'll see how good internet reception is in Tikal tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. oh, I bet the coffee cafe smelled marvelous!!! Mango is the best, I love it. Awesome stuff you guys, great pics. Be careful running around in the jungle...how do you keep the bugs off you??? I hate the thought of any creepy crawly thing coming back with you!!!

    ReplyDelete